Glaucoma is a group of diseases that can damage the eye's optic nerve and result in vision loss and blindness. It is one of the main causes of blindness in Nigeria. It is also the commonest cause of irreversible blindness world wide.
- It is a multifactorial disease that affects the nerve that joins the eye to the brain.
- it is painless and symptom free, so patients are unaware of the disease in early and moderate stages.
- Early detection through yearly comprehensive eye test with opthalmologist is very important as early treatment helps to preserve vision
- Positive family history of glaucoma.
- Those of Africa descent (Black race) e.g Diabetes, Hypertension, Trauma etc
- Drugs such as Steroids
- Refractive error i.e need to wear corrective lenses.
The world is trying to eliminate avoidable blindness by the year 2020. blindness from glaucoma is avoidable. Take care of your eyes and encourage others to visit the ophthalmologist at least once a year for general eye test and glaucoma screening.